Welcome

This is the space that I am going to use to present my archive of work prior to 2000.

Going through old negatives I realized that I should digitize many of my old photographs. Many of the negatives were never printed, nor seen, and this is a chance to play catch up. From time to time I will lump a group into an online gallery.

This is not intended to be a retrospective of my best old photographs and I do not intend this to be an exercise in nostalgia. I am going to present the photographs that interest me and I hope that they give you enjoyment.

Thanks,

Ron


(Click on photographs to enlarge)

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Solsberry, Indiana

Thought I'd dig through the old 4"x5" negatives this morning.

In the early 1990s I photographed towns in Indiana that were in the process of dying. Corporate farming and centralization of business around large cities was killing these towns. It was obvious that a way of life was blowing away in the wind. When I would travel for work I would stick to the back roads. Over just a few years in the late 1980's through the early 1990's the erosion in these towns was obvious. The buildings that were constructed in a different time were really starting to show their age and, in most cases, were not being used for the original intent. For example, this building, the Yo Ho Grocery in Solsberry, Indiana was originally the local Masonic Hall. Indiana used to have a thriving rural life; unfortunately much of it is gone forever.

I actually noted the date I made this photo on the negative sleeve - August 23, 1992.